12 hours classroom time (teaching, discussion, worship and prayer) exploring these aspects of Philippians and its lessons for life:
- The literary structure of the letter and the shape of Paul’s argument.
- Paul’s rich and complex understanding of Christ’s life, celebrated in the poetic piece in 2:6–11.
- The ways in which Christ’s life determines the identity and behaviour of his followers.
- The letter’s vision for a radical Christian culture of honour, empathy and worship.
Participants will receive the usual pack of teaching materials and a voucher for a free digital copy of Crispin’s forthcoming volume on Philippians (Jesus Monotheism. Volume 2. Philippians, the Synoptics and Questions in need of an Answer. Eugene Or./Toddington: Wipf & Stock/Whymanity).
Participants will be asked to undertake some preparation before the weekend: reflecting on some basic questions about Philippians.
The teacher—Dr Crispin Fletcher-Louis — is the Director of Whymanity Research and Training. Teaching will draw on Crispin’s internationally-recognised expertise as a biblical scholar, his ongoing research project on the earliest beliefs about Jesus’ divine identity (Christology) and his ongoing interest in the relationship between theology and business.
Worship will be led by Neil Bennetts.
Sat. 8th June, 9:00–18:00 + evening BBQ and camp fire
Sun. 9th June, 9:00–16:00
Camelot, Olde Lane, Toddington, GL54 5DW
Set at the end of a quiet private lane, Camelot is surrounded by trees and farmland. The river Isbourne runs through the grounds, that are host to an abundant wildlife (trout, ducks, kingfishers, heron, woodpeckers, red kite, buzzard, muntjac deer, foxes, a stoat, an occasional otter, frogs, newts).
Teaching, main meals (two lunches) and refreshments: £65
Saturday evening BBQ: £10
Sunday breakfast: £10
- Local accommodation: airbnb.co.uk or www.booking.com or www.mapov.com.
- Camping: we have space for a limited number of river-side tents. We will send you information on after booking.
- Local friends: We may be able to arrange for you to stay locally with friends. We will send you information after booking.